Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day at the beach

Hi!

It was a gorgeous day, so our friends decided to take us to a beautiful beach.

I wanted to find some groceries, especially since we needed to take lunch with us. I asked at the front desk where I could find a supermarket. I walked three blocks, only to find that "supermarket" here means something like a Walgreens. No fruit, veggies, dairy, or bread! So I kept wandering, and finally found another market that had just a tiny bit of fruit, and they made cheese sandwiches on fresh baguettes. So I stocked up and came back to make lunch and pack up beach stuff.

Mandy drove all the way out here so we could follow her to the beach. It was at the north end of the island (we´re at the south end), but it only took a little over half an hour to get there.

It was just gorgeous there. The water was very warm at the shore. Alaina had a little mishap in the first few minutes, accidentally stepping on a sea urchin. Thank goodness Mandy is a marine biologist and could reassure us that although it was painful, there was no danger. I plucked out the broken-off spines and helped Alaina to shore. She wasn´t going to be able to walk with all those "splinters" in her foot. So Mandy drove to the nearest village to find ice, a needle, and tweezers. I was able to numb Alaina´s foot enough to get the biggest bits out, and then it felt a lot better, and she was soon able to walk just fine.

Mandy had brought a little boat, so everyone headed out in the shallow water over to the nearby island to do some snorkeling. We saw a few fish, but we´ll try again someplace else another day.

It was a fun day, and we were very tired after the swimming and the hot sun. So we headed back to relax. On the way, we stopped at a little village of Alcudia, a walled village with reconstructed medieval streets and Roman remains. We stayed just long enough to wander the narrow market streets a bit and have ice cream, and then headed for the hotel.

We´ve been eating dinner at the hotel, but it´s not that great. I think we´ll venture out to a restaurant tonight. I would dearly love to find a grocery store. I just need to be more specific about what I´m looking for.

Kathy